FORUM

Jan 14 2021

Turkey: Health workers get first COVID jabs as mass vaccination begins in Istanbul

Health workers began receiving the Chinese CoronaVac coronavirus vaccine in Istanbul on Thursday as mass vaccination got underway in the country.

“As soon as I heard that the vaccine was coming, I made an appointment directly. I am a clinical nurse. Frankly, I am the first vaccinated to show my colleagues that I trust science,” explained health worker Elif Yurtsever.

Turkey received three million doses of the vaccine developed by Beijing-based pharmaceutical company, SinoVaC, on December 30, with the Turkish Medicines and Medical Devices Agency granting the vaccine an emergency use authorisation on Wednesday.

The Turkish government has announced a four phase mass vaccination programme with health care workers, nursing home residents, and those over the age of 65 getting the first doses.

According to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University Turkey has currently registered 2,355,839 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and over 23,000 related deaths, as of Thursday.

FORUM

Written by admin

%d bloggers like this: