The Saudi-backed Aden-based Yemeni government announced on January 8 that its troops had recaptured several positions from the Houthis (formally known as Ansar Allah) in the northern province of al-Jawf.
Field sources told the September 26 website, which is run by the Yemeni Ministry of Defense, that Houthi fighters were lured into an ambush in the area of Beir Aziz in the district of Khabb wa al- Sha’af.
Head of Border Guard Operations and Commander of the al-Hazm Brigade in the Yemeni military, Brig. Gen. Hadi Hamran Al-Jaidi, said that a mountain chain was recaptured from the Houthis as a result of this operation. According to al-Jaidi, Saudi-led coalition warplanes played a “large and effective role”.
According to the September 26 website, dozens of Houthi fighters were killed or wounded in the attack. Saudi-backed forces also captured three vehicles.
- The Liaison and Coordination Officers’ Operations Room (loyal to Ansar Allah) reported 122 ceasefire violations in al-Hudaydah during the past 24 hours.
- On January 8, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 2 airstrikes on the Maheliya area.
- On January 8, Saudi-led coalition warplanes conducted 2 airstrikes on the al-Boqa’ area.
- On January 8, 20 fighters of Saudi-led forces on the Rabua front defected and joined Ansar Allah, according to an Ansar Allah military official.
- On January 7, a car bomb explosion killed prison personnel in the Mansourah district of Aden city.
- On January 8, Saudi-led forces attacked positions of Ansar Allah in the Madghal area.
Saudi-backed backed forces made very few gains in northern and central Yemen during the last year. The Houthis, on the other hand, have been advancing in the central region, mainly in Ma’rib, and stepping up their rocket and missile attacks.